Friday, January 17, 2014

2014 Reading List (I Think)

As promised on Wednesday, here is what I am looking to read in 2014.  They may inspire you, or you may think I'm nuts for reading them.  My reading plan for the first part of this year is to read 1 novel, 1 theological text, and 1 ministry text each month, since I have additional course texts to read.  Think I might like something you're reading?  Leave me a comment or sent me an email!  Happy reading!

Books I am Reviewing

  • Carl Prude, Anchored in Light (ACU Book Club blog)
Books I am Reading for Classes I Teach

  • David Hansen, The Art of Pastoring, rev. ed. (Introduction to Ministry)
  • Timothy Keller, Walking with God through Pain and Suffering (Providence and Suffering)
  • Thomas Long, What Shall We Say? (Providence and Suffering)
  • More will be added, I am sure, when my Fall schedule rolls around
Books I am Reading for My LAST Doctoral Class

  • Dave Bland and David Fleer, ed., Performing the Psalms
  • David Fleer and Dave Bland, ed., Preaching the Eighth-Century Prophets
  • Glenn Pemberton, Hurting with God
  • Fleming Rutledge, And God Spoke to Abraham

Books I am Reading for Fun (Fiction/Philosophy)

  • Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
  • Max Brooks, World War Z
  • Lewis Sinclair, Elmer Gantry
  • Cormac McCarthy, The Road
  • Arthur Miller, Death of a Saleman
  • Jose Ortega y Gassett, Revolt of the Masses
  • George Orwell, Animal Farm
  • Ayn Rand, We the Living or Atlas Shrugged
  • Philip Roth, The Plot Against America
  • Charlie Starr, Light
  • Thornton Wilder, The Bridge of San Luis Rey
  • Jack Wolf, The Tale of Raw Head and Bloody Bones
Books I am Reading for Fun (Homiletics)

  • Kenton Anderson, Choosing to Preach
  • Charles Bartow, God's Human Speech
  • Charles Campbell, The Word Before the Powers
  • Lucy Hogan and Robert Stephen Reid, Connecting with the Congregation
Books I am Reading for Fun (Ministry)

  • Timothy Keller, Center Church (for some consulting work)
  • Melick and Melick, Teaching that Transforms (for my dissertation; yes, this is it!)
Books I am Reading for Fun (Theology)

  • Timothy Keller, Counterfeit Gods
  • Timothy Keller, Every Good Encounter
  • Timothy Keller, Generous Justice
  • Timothy Keller, Jesus the King (aka, King's Cross)
  • Eric Metaxas, Bonhoeffer
  • Philip Yancey, Prayer
  • Philip Yancey, What's So Amazing about Grace?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The other day I mentioned:
"The Case for the Psalms" by N.T. Wright, and
"The Trellis and the Vine" by Tony Payne and Colin Marshall.

But I would definitely add: Fight: A Christian Case for Non-Violence by Preston Sprinkle. I read it last year and it was one of the most challenging books I have read.