Wednesday, October 23, 2013

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility


Note: This is a continuation of a series of posts from my Advanced Preaching students at Kentucky Christian University.  Feel free to leave them some comments below.

Guest Author: Cody Julian (@TheCjulian)

With great power comes great responsibility. These are the last words Peter Parker heard from his uncle before he was killed. Before Peter became spiderman. These last words meant something to him. They changed him. They meant that he would have to put others before himself. That he needed to be man before he could be someones hero. 
So often in todays world we see so few men and more and more boys. We do not want to take responsibility for our actions. We make quick decisions and then regret them later. We say “no” or “yes” to something and then later we say the opposite. I have been guilty of this myself. I change my mind. I second guess myself. I make mistakes. I hurt people. This is not how a christian man should act. In James 5:12, James says “But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.”  Basically this is saying say what you mean and mean what you say. Do not go back on your word. Be responsible and trustworthy. If anyone had come seen any of these bad traits I have mentioned then he would not be a very good super hero now would he? People would not see him as someone they could rely on when they need help. Man are supposed to be leaders not being timid and unable to make decisions. They should be trustworthy, not spiting lie after lie. 

Do not let yourself become a man who no one can count on. Do not be the man that regrets his decisions. Do not be the man who loses people from his life because of his actions. Be the responsible man. Be the honest man. Be the Godly man. Remember that with great power comes great responsibility. 

1 comment:

Devon Nicole Jacobs said...

Cody Julian, I am extremely impressed! God is doing such great things through your life right now. I can see it throught this blog post and in your life.
He loves you so much more than you could ever know. And I know that He has such an incredible plan for your life. I'm so proud of the man you are becoming because whether you see it or not, you are truly a Godly man and you will be a great spiritual leader whom God will use to change lives and bring people toward Him.
Keep shining His light and keep you head up because God hasn't left your side.